Cricket Wireless is an MVNO. MVNOs lease coverage from the Large Four network (Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, AT&T) and sell it to customers for much less. The advantage of an MVNO is that you will get the same quality service as a user on one of the big four networks, however, you can often get talk, texts, and data plans for a small fraction of the cost.
There are several nice reasons for using Cricket phone plans. One is that the cell phones connect to the AT&T network. Which means you can bring nearly any unlocked cell phone in, as long as it could use GSM wireless hardware. The other reason is that they have got a number of plans designed to suit pretty much anyone, even people who simply want a phone to talk and not any of those smartphone features that the kids like so much.
Cricket Phone Plans
Cricket Wireless plans are prepaid which are charged upfront for every month of service. Cricket has 3 types of phone plans available for individual lines, which come with unlimited talk and text, plus taxes and fees in their costs.
Cricket cell phone plans vary from a basic plan with unlimited talk and text with no data all the way up to Unlimited 4G high-speed data with unlimited texts to 37 countries. The higher-tier phone plans also have the ability to use calling minutes, texting, and data while roaming in Mexico and Canada.
Cricket Wireless also uses the LTE (and HSPA “4G”) data slightly different than any other carrier. Download speeds are capped at 8Mbps while using LTE and 4Mbps while using HSPA “4G”. Once you reach your monthly limit of high-speed data, download speeds will be reduced to 128Kbps.
- $25/month: unlimited talk and text
- $30/month: unlimited talk, text, and 2GB of data
- $40/month ($35 AutoPay): unlimited talk, text and 5GB of data
- $55/month ($50 AutoPay): unlimited talk, text, and data plus Unlimited international texts with unlimited calls, texts Mexico and Canada.
- $60/month ($55 AutoPay): unlimited talk, text, and 4G LTE data plus Unlimited international texts with unlimited calls, texts Mexico and Canada.
Cricket Family Plans
Cricket Wireless calls its family plans “Group Save Discounts”. In order to get the discount, every line of up to 5 lines has to be on the $40/month 4GB plan or better. It will save you more with every line you add, for lines 2 to 5.
Cricket has many plans capable of supporting 2 or more lines. Family phone plans such as these are very helpful because they are more affordable for each additional member in the group. Moreover, they provide benefits like unlimited data at full 4G LTE speeds, and international calling and texts.
In the first, after the data plan is surpassed, your network speeds are going to be slowed. Cricket Unlimited plans possess fewer features compared to bigger cell phone carriers such as AT&T and Verizon, but they come with cheaper pricing. If you are looking for a frugal family plan without all of the bells and whistles of other service providers, Cricket Wireless has some terrific options.
Unlimited $55 Family Plan:
- Line 1 = $55 — $50/month with Auto Pay
- Line 2 = $40/line — 2 Lines for $80/month
- Line 3 = $30/line — 3 Lines for $90/month
- Line 4 = $25/line — 4 Lines for $100/month
- Line 5 = $25/line — 5 Lines for $125/month
Unlimited Extra $60 Family Plan:
- Line 1 = $60 — $55/month with Auto Pay
- Line 2 = $45/line — 2 Lines for $90/month
- Line 3 = $40/line — 3 Lines for $120/month
- Line 4 = $37.5/line — 4 Lines for $150/month
- Line 5 = $36 — 5 Lines for $180/month
Cricket Wireless Add-ons
Extra data: 1GB/month: $10
- Cricket International: Unlimited calling to 36 countries (landline numbers only) for $5 per month.
- Cricket International Extra: Unlimited calling minutes to landline numbers in 36 countries, unlimited MMS to 36 countries, 1,000 calling minutes of mobile-to-mobile to 32 other countries. The list of approved countries and full details are here.
Tethering: Customers on the $50 8GB LTE data monthly phone plan will be able to add the Mobile Hotspot feature. You need a supported phone and it only costs $10 a month to share your connection with around 6 other devices. Additional LTE data could be added for $10 per GB.
Cricket Wireless Coverage
As a Cricket customer, you will get national coverage on the AT&T network. In order to have this coverage on your phone, you will select a plan then order a Cricket Wireless SIM card, that is a little pricier compared to most carriers at $9.99.
OpenSignal, which examines mobile network overall performance, places AT&T in 3rd place for coverage, with users receiving a 4G signal about 87% of the time. LTE coverage is strongest all the way through the East, South, Midwest, and on the west coast.
Cricket Wireless Phones
You’ll have many options if you decide on buying a cell phone compatible with Cricket Wireless:
- Bring your own phone.
- Buy a new phone.
- Choose a free Cricket phone.
- Buy a refurbished Cricket phone.
Cricket Wireless has a wide selection of cell phones available via its website. You can even bring your own device if it’s compatible with the network, anything from T-Mobile or AT&T should be fine. You can add up to 5 lines on one single plan, and phone plans that cost above $40 a month are eligible for autopay and multi-line discounts.
Although its cell phones Connected to AT&T network, the Cricket phone plans are in most cases pretty good when it comes to features. You won’t find any kind of fancy things like free HBO access or a way to mix your plan with a DirecTV membership. But, if you wish to save some cash, then Cricket Wireless is your best cell phone plan option, especially if you have already an unlocked GSM cell phone that you bought and you want multiple lines plan. The unlimited plan is also pretty affordable for families who, again, would like to save some cash and have existing phones they want to use.
Wish to get a Cricket Wireless prepaid SIM card sent to you? You can get one using this link here. Once you get it, you can activate a phone plan by going to the Cricket website or by calling a toll-free number.