Everyone likes to save a bit of money, but for students especially, any cash saved can make a big difference. Luckily for Aussie students, there are plenty of best cell phone plans for college students around, not to mention specific student discounts and bonuses on offer from some of the bigger cell phone service providers.
Thankfully, cell phone plans in the US have become more affordable since the early 2010s, as a result of ever-rising stiff competition.
This is perhaps why today you have got a range of cell phone plans to pick from as a college student. While this might be good news in one hand, on the other hand, it becomes a bit tough to choose the right cell phone plan as per your requirements.
To make your task easier, we have done some research and here are some of the best cell phone plans for college students you can choose.
The 6 Best Cell Phone Plans For College Students of 2019
Looking for a great MVNO with affordable prices and plenty of perks? Twigby may be just what you’re looking for. They offer custom Twigby plans as low as $9 per month along with plenty of other perks.
Twigby runs on the nationwide 4G LTE Sprint network with backup from the Verizon Wireless network. That means you get extensive, reliable coverage.
This carrier’s plans are highly customizable and ideal for light to medium data users. Choose any combination of the following. Prices denote a discounted rate during the first six months.
Note: Twigby is giving its new customers 25% off on their first 6 months of service.
- $9.75/month: unlimited talk and text
- $14.25/month: unlimited talk, text, and 1GB of data
- $17.25/month: unlimited talk, text, and 2GB of data
- $21.00/month: unlimited talk, text, and 3GB of data
- $24.75/month: unlimited talk, text, and 5GB of data
- $32.25/month: unlimited talk, text, and 10GB of data
Tello uses Sprint network coverage and is one of the best options you’ll find as far as customized service plans go. That means it’s easy to pair unlimited talk and text with the right amount of data for you.
Choose from a wide range of configurations, from no data (WiFi only) all the way up to 10 GB of high-speed data.
The best part is that, even with a good chunk of 4G LTE data, Tello’s mobile phone plans are insanely affordable. Plus they offer free tethering, calls to China, Mexico, and Canada using your plan minutes, and international calling to other countries with great pay-as-you-go rates
- $8/month: unlimited talk and text plus, calls to Canada, Mexico & China are included.
- $10/month: unlimited talk, text and 1 GB plus, calls to Canada, Mexico & China are included.
- $14/month: unlimited talk, text and 2 GB plus, calls to Canada, Mexico & China are included.
- $19/month: unlimited talk, text and 4 GB plus, calls to Canada, Mexico & China are included.
- $24/month: unlimited talk, text and 6 GB plus, calls to Canada, Mexico & China are included.
Boost Mobile uses Sprint’s nationwide LTE network. You have the option of buying a phone through Boost or bringing your own Sprint-compatible device.
Boost Mobile offers four types of monthly prepaid phone plans featuring LTE high-speed data. Once your plan’s data allotment has been reached, speeds are reduced to 2G for the remainder of the plan cycle.
All plans come with unlimited domestic talk and text (available even if you haven’t paid for up to 60 days), unlimited music streaming with select music partners, call waiting, voicemail, 3-way calling, as well as the ability to turn your phone into a mobile Wi-Fi hotspot.
Note: Boost offers a $5 discount per month for autopay.
- $35/month: Unlimited talk, text, and 3 GB of data with a mobile hotspot.
- $50/month: Unlimited talk, text, and data with 12 Gigs Mobile Hotspot plus streaming Videos, Gaming & Music.
- $60/month: Unlimited talk, text, and data with 30 Gigs Mobile Hotspot & HD Streams up to 1080p.
- $80/month: Unlimited talk, text, and data with 50 Gigs Mobile Hotspot & HD Streams up to 1080p.
Note: Save With Group Discount
- Line 1 = $50 — $45/month with Auto Pay
- Line 2 = $30 — 2 Lines for $80/month
- Line 3 = $30 — 3 Lines for $110/month
- Line 4 = $30 — 4 Lines for $140/month
Mint Mobile runs on the T-Mobile network. Mint is unique in that it offers a bulk discount on its prepaid plans. Instead of monthly plans, Mint sells service in lots of three, six, or 12 months. The more you buy, the deeper the discounts. That essentially amounts to a loyalty reward plan, which – let’s face it – is unheard of in the cell phone industry.
Mint Mobile plans are pretty simple. All come with unlimited talk and text. There are three data buckets – 2GB, 5GB, and 10GB. Need more? Add data or international service to any plan.
- $15/month: unlimited talk, text and 2GB of data. ($45 per 3 months)
- $20/month: unlimited talk, text and 5GB of data. ($60 per 3 months)
- $25/month: unlimited talk, text and 10GB of data. ($75 per 3 months)
Project Fi is Google’s answer to affordable cell phone service. How does it compare? Project Fi has some great features, including a low monthly base price for unlimited talk and text and an affordable pay-for-what-you-use 4G LTE data plan.
They have good coverage with Sprint, T-Mobile and U.S. Cellular networks and international roaming in 135+ countries. Other pluses include unlimited international texting and the ability to use your phone as a hotspot at no extra charge.
The downside? Project Fi only works with three phones — Google’s Pixel, Nexus 6P, and Nexus 5X. If you have one of these phones, they provide a free prepaid SIM card to activate their service.
- $20/month: unlimited talk and text
- $30/month: unlimited talk, text and 1GB of data
- $40/month: unlimited talk, text and 2GB of data
If you’re a heavy data user, MetroPCS is the way to go. Metro, an MVNO that uses T-Mobile network, currently has the best unlimited text, talk and 4G LTE data plan compared to other services at $60 per month. They do offer cheaper plans that give you 4G LTE speeds, but the data caps for the price aren’t the most competitive.
Metro has a couple of standout features — you can stream music from services like Pandora and Spotify without it counting toward your monthly data allotment (great if you have teens on your plan!). And their Data Maximizer lets you stream DVD-quality clips and helps your high-speed data last up to three times longer.
- $30/month: unlimited talk; text and 2 GB of data.
- $40/month: unlimited talk, text and 5 GB of data
- $50/month: unlimited talk, text, and data plus 5GB of Hotspot
- $60/month: unlimited talk, text, and data plus 15GB of Hotspot and amazon prime included
Realistically, determining if a phone plan is a good value depends on your situation. How you use your phone is the biggest factor when it comes to which provider and plan will suit you.
For students who are penny-pinching and looking for a cheaper phone plan, staying on top of the latest deals can save you money in the long run. Overall, it’s a good time to be a student on the hunt for a phone deal. there are so many providers out there with attractive offers, all you have to do is shop around.